The Florida Association of Centers for Independent Living (FACIL) and the Florida Independent Living Council (FILC) are hosting a Tele-Press Conference TODAY to tell Governor Scott, FEMA and our elected officials, “There’s No Place Like Home” for tens of thousands of Floridians with disabilities still displaced by Hurricane Michael.
Disaster Survivors, Disability Leaders and Community Allies across Florida and the nation will participate in a Tele-Press Conference Friday, November 2nd, 2018 at 3:00pm. Speakers will share their stories about the immediate and long-term crisis facing thousands of displaced Floridians with disabilities. These families have nowhere to live and no good options for their recovery.
Call number: 1-641-715-3580
Access Code: 996329#
Captioning Link for participants with disabilities who require this accommodation:
Please direct questions to: Beth Meyer, Executive Director, FILC, 850-488-5624.
Hurricane Season is officially here and runs from June 1st – November 30th. Please take advantage of the 2018 Sales Tax Holiday from June 1st – 7th for any needed hurricane supplies!
For more information on the Florida Division of Emergency Management and the GET A PLAN Program, visit www.FloridaDisaster.org.
Some of the specific items in the Sales Tax Holiday includes:
- A portable self-powered light source selling for $20 or less
- A portable self-power radio, two-way radio, or weather band radio selling for $50 or less
- A tarpaulin or other flexible waterproof sheeting selling for $50 or less
- A self-contained first-aid kit selling for $30 or less
- A ground anchor system or tie-down kit selling for $50 or less
- A gas or diesel fuel tank selling for $25 or less
- A package of AA-cell, C-cell, D-cell, 6-Volt or 9-Volt batteries, excluding automobile and boat batteries, selling for $30 or less
- A nonelectric food storage cooler selling for $30 or less
- A portable generator that is used to provide light or communications or preserve food in the event of a power outage selling for $750 or less
SPECIAL THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING LOCAL BUSINESSES WHO GENEROUSLY SPONSORED OUR OCALA OPEN HOUSE!
- Sonny’s BBQ
- Bruster’s Ice Cream
- Ocala Civic Theater
- Betty Cakes
- Batton’s Auto
- Jimmy John’s
- Ruby Tuesday
- Smokin’ Swamp BBQ
- Shear Vanity
- Skate A Way South
- Morgan Brothers Plumbing Supply
- Paper Net
- A Better U Healthcare
- Painting with a Twist
- The Works Groomer
- Bittings Pharmacy
- Home Run Realty
- Gyro Grill
- Anytime Fitness
- Zhang Gardens
- Ale House
- Wing House
- Lakis Restaurant
- Dance Alive National Ballet
- Phillips Center for the Performing Arts
Many thanks from our awesome Ocala team!
The Center for Independent Living of North Central Florida (CILNCF), along with the Belleview Library and FEMA, are partnering up to help people with disabilities and residents of Marion County. We are opening the doors from 11am to 5pm on October 5th, 2017, at the Belleview Library, located at 13145 SE Highway 484, Belleview, FL 34420. Residents will have an opportunity to register for financial assistance and receive direct help to repair damage to their home and property caused by Hurricane Irma.
Assistance available includes:
– Housing assistance; temporary housing, repairs, replacement and construction
– Personal property assistance and other needs
To complete registration on site, you’ll need to supply the following information:
– Social security number
– Address of damaged property
– Current mailing address and phone number
– Property insurance information
– Total household annual income
– Bank information for direct deposit
– Description of damage caused by Hurricane Irma
For more information, please call the CILNCF at 352-368-3788.
The Florida Association of Centers for Independent Living (FACIL) has started a fundraiser to help raise funds for people with disabilities in Florida impacted by Hurricane Irma. All funds will go through a 501-C-3 non-profit and will be distributed to local disability organizations to help with recovery efforts. Please give as you are able. And please share as widely as possible.